- A book containing recipes and/or other information about the preparation and cooking of food. Authors need not be current Florida residents; the book's content must primarily focus on Florida.
- Florida Nonfiction includes Florida history, biography, autobiography, or memoir. Authors need not be current Florida residents; the book's content must primarily focus on Florida.
- This category includes literary fiction and short story collections and has a word count requirement of at least 40,000 words.
- Nonfiction books not about Florida. All authors must be Florida residents. Books fitting this category should be written in English for a general audience (i.e., without academic jargon).
- Submissions can be from the following broad areas:
- "Humanities" (including philosophy, religion, language, arts, literature, rhetoric, biographies, and history)
- "Science and Technology" (including the natural sciences, mathematics and applied sciences)
- "Social Sciences" (including psychology, statistics, sociology, anthropology, geography, political science, economics, law, education, public administration, social services, communications, commerce, and folklore)
- Reference books, bibliographies, textbooks, or edited anthologies will not be eligible.
Older Children's Literature
- Older Children's Literature (age 7-12) includes poetry, fiction, and nonfiction books (with or without illustrations).
- Books of poetry must be by a single author. Chapbooks (a pocket-sized booklet) over twenty pages are eligible for submission.
- Popular Fiction includes mystery, fantasy, romance, horror, science fiction, westerns, short story collections, and adventure.
- This category includes non-fiction, fiction, young adult literature, children's literature, and poetry for all ages written in the Spanish language.
- This category includes books that are predominantly visual or graphical in nature. This may include books of photography, art, museum or exhibition catalogs, or coffee-table books. Artist books, of which there is only one copy, are not eligible for this category. Authors need not be current Florida residents; book contents must primarily focus on Florida.
Young Adult Literature
- Young Adult Literature (ages 12-19) includes poetry, fiction, and nonfiction books (with or without illustrations).
Young Children's Literature
- Young Children's Literature (age 0-6) includes poetry, fiction, and nonfiction books (with or without illustrations).
Except for the Spanish Language category, all submissions must be in the English language.