Congratulations to Johnny Bell, the inaugural recipient of the Gerald Ensley Developing Writer Award. Johnny Bell teaches at the PK Yonge Developmental Research School at the University of Florida and has published two books for young readers, Take the Shot and The Dirt Court.
The Gerald Ensley Developing Writer Award was established as part of the Florida Book Awards and will annually honor a developing Florida author. The award defines "Developing" as a writer who has shown exceptional talent and the potential for continued literary success and significance in the future. The award is accompanied by a $1000 prize and a copy of each of Gerald Ensley's two books, We Found Paradise: Gerald Ensley on the History and Eccentricities of His Beloved Tallahassee and Write the Way You Would Talk, his advice on interviewing and writing.
- The nominee must be a Florida resident who has written and published at least one but no more than two books of fiction, nonfiction, poetry or any of the other Florida Book Award categories.
- The nominee must be of demonstrated ability and show promise for continued growth.
- A complete list of the nominee’s publishing credits must be included in the nomination packet.
- Cover Letter: This letter should include the contact information of the nominee as well as the person nominating the emerging author. This letter is in addition to the required three letters of support.
- Nominee Information: Short biography or CV
- Letters of Support: Three letters of support, one must come from the nominator, submitted on behalf of the nominee no more than 250 words each. The letters of support may be from publishers, fellow writers, editors, students, or friends and address the quality of the nominee’s literary works or potential works.
All submissions are to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and include Ensley Developing Writer Award in the subject line. Failure to submit all nomination materials requested will result in disqualification of the nominee. The award will be voted on by members of the Florida Book Awards and FSU Libraries administration. Nominations will be taken from August 23, 2021 until December 31,2021.